Resource Teacher: Tess Hiller
ESOL Academic Support is offered in room 154 every day during lunch. The support schedule for specific subjects will be posted soon.
- Shea Anderson – Loren_S_Anderson@mcpsmd.org
- Hannah Block– Hannah_M_Block@mcpsmd.org
- Ryan Gerasimowicz – Ryan_S_Gerasimowicz@mcpsmd.org
- Jody Gil – Joellyn_E_Gil@mcpsmd.org
- Robyn Gopin – Robyn_N_Gopin@mcpsmd.org
- Michael Herlihy – Michael_G_Herlihy@mcpsmd.org
- Carlos Landau – Carlos_A_Landau@mcpsmd.org
- Hiba Jampolsky – Hiba_M_Jampolsky@mcpsmd.org
- Nicole Levesque – Nicole_J_Levesque@mcpsmd.org
- Leah Marcus – Leah_R_Marcus@mcpsmd.org
- Brenna Matthews – Brenna_K_Matthews@mcpsmd.org
- Pilar Romero – Pilar_Romero@mcpsmd.org
- Eugenia Semirot – Eugenia_K_Semirot@mcpsmd.org
- Sara Sieverding – Sara_M_Sieverding@mcpsmd.org
- Cindy Spoon – Cindy_A_Spoon@mcpsmd.org
- Jesse Stradnick – Jesse_J_Stradnick@mcpsmd.org
- Natalie Waltz – Natalie_B_Waltz@mcpsmd.org
Currently there are about 520 students in Blair's ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Program which account for approximately 16% of the current student population. Another 20% of Blair's current enrollment are former ESOL students who were in the ESOL program at Blair or one of its feeder schools.
Students in the ESOL program are tested and placed as follows:
|ESOL Literacy (METS)||Level 3 - Developing Level|
|Level 1 - Entering Level||Level 4 - Expanding Level|
|Level 2 - Beginning Level||Level 5 - Bridging Level|
Students are tested during the year and are moved from level to level as needed.
Classes and Support Offered by the ESOL Department
Intensive English Classes: Students in ESOL literacy and levels 1-3 have a double period English class. Students in ESOL 4-5 have one period of ESOL and one period of reading. Many advenced ESOL students take Bridge English co-taught by English and ESOL teachers. In ESOL classes, teachers emphasize listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.
Sheltered Content Classes: ESOL teachers offer sheltered content classes to selected students in Reading, Language of Math, and Academic Language.
Sheltered and Supported classes offered to ESOL Students
Social Studies - U.S. History, NSL Government, and World History
Science - Physics, Biology, and Chemistry
Math - Algebra and Geometry
Electives - Guitar, Health, and Piano